~Welcome to The Mom Spot of Tea. My name is Angela, I'm Mom to four "sugar cubes" and wife to one "dashing debonair". I am a very happy "domestic dame" and am always finding ways {and sharing them} to become better at what I'm doing here on earth...serving the Almighty One!~ We are a homeschooling family and we like to keep things simple.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Book Nook: Thank You Sarah!




{The Book Nook}

Yes, I love books and I'd like to share what I think about what I've read...

 "Thank You Sarah", by Laurie Halse Anderson.    
 
I feel as though this is a very appropriate Thanksgiving post...a true story that perhaps many of you have never heard {I hadn't until my seven year old told me about it} 

This is a great book!

Way back when "skirts were long and hats were tall" Americans were forgetting Thanksgiving, and nobody seemed to care! 

Not until Sarah Hale, came along and demanded that we have our turkey and eat it too! 
She wrote letters to every president spanning a 30 year period to persuade him to make it a national holiday, but nobody budged...not  until honest Abraham Lincoln received one {or maybe a few} of Sarah's letters in 1863. That's when Thanksgiving became the important event it is today. 

In the book the cartoonish illustrations are well-done, and they use warm hues that are reminiscent of the warmth associated with Thanksgiving. 

Sara Hale, the "super hero" and her secret weapon "the pen" are responsible for saving Thanksgiving...so let it be known! 

Thank You Sarah!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...