~Welcome to The Mom Spot of Tea. My name is Angela, I'm Mom to four "sugar cubes" and wife to one "dashing debonair". I am a very happy "domestic dame" and am always finding ways {and sharing them} to become better at what I'm doing here on earth...serving the Almighty One!~ We are a homeschooling family and we like to keep things simple.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

To Cloth or not to Cloth...

Let me start by saying-- right out of the gate-- cloth diapering has been one of the smartest parenting decisions I've ever made!

We used main-stream-brand disposables with no.1 {Huggies, Pampers}

We halfheartedly cloth diapered no. 2, We used the G-diaper system {was fresh out on the market}. I wasn't so into it, but I loved how cute those little diapers with the "g" on the butt looked...we ended up using all natural disposables {mixed with a few packages of the Cosco brand in between}.

We more than halfheartedly cloth diapered no. 3, but we still used disposables in between. Also our no. 3 was potty-trained by 18 or 19 months so that helped...

We exclusively cloth diaper no. 4 and wouldn't ever go any other way... SO MUCH MONEY is being saved here in the Zere household, as well as waste AND we haven't had any diaper rash on this baby's bottom.

All the chemicals in the disposable diapers scare the daylights out of me. 
Most disposable diapers are bleached with chlorine which causes a byproduct called dioxin which leaches into the diapers...and our environment, According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), dioxins are among the most toxic chemicals known to science and are listed by the EPA as highly carcinogenic chemicals. According to the W.H.O.{World Health Organization} exposure to dioxins can cause skin reactions and can cause damage to liver function, immune system, nervous system, endocrine system and reproductive functions.
Thanks Huggies for making those diapers white {for what reason?} AND knowingly, subjecting our baby's vulnerable skin to these extremely harmful chemicals.
Oh, and that's not all...there's sodium polycarbonate {the gel beads you find on your baby's bottom when changing him}...known to cause respiratory complications. Let's not forget tributyl-tin {TBT} which according to research published by the American Institute of Biological Sciences, tributyl-tin can trigger genes that promote the growth of fat cells, causing obesity in humans...hmmmm. Well, unfortunately the list goes on... volatile organic compounds {V.O.C.s}, dyes, fragrances, plastics and petrolatums, adhesive chemicals.
I don't know about you, but I think us Moms have enough to worry about when it comes to our children.
I think the biggest negative response I hear about cloth diapering {C.D.} is "I just don't have the time" or "I can't fathom the hassle".  For no. 4 we use "pocket diapers" by Just Simply Baby. Basically you add an insert into a hidden pocket at the back of the diaper and then the rest is pretty much the same as a disposable {except mine have snaps not velcro...much better in my opinion}. Also my diapers grow with baby! So they can expand just by using/not using a row of snaps.
There is one more C.D. myth I'd love to bust while I'm at it:
"cloth diapering uses just as many if not more environmental resources {water, energy} than disposables do"
No, absolutely not.
You don't really have to pre-soak or deal with diaper pails, AND most Moms sun dry their diapers to get more life out of them {the ones that don't most likely have a semi up-to-date dryer that will save energy anyway}.
That leaves very little room for argument considering the amount of energy alone it takes to produce, package, and ship disposables...that's before even putting them on baby, then there's the rest...disposal, land fill and everything in between.
I am so happy to have made this decision before no. 4 arrived! I'm also so happy that I found Just Simply Baby Cloth Diapers.

  I really find these diapers easy- peasy and they will last until baby is out of diapers {quality and size-wise}. I also love how the JSB {Just Simply Baby} offers packages. Especially for someone just starting out or someone adding to their stash...
I couldn't be happier with the quality, service and selection that JSB offers.


Let's have some fun...
Check out JSB's website here {or through any of the links above}

I'm thinking of a number from 1 to 10...leave me a comment at the bottom of this post telling me what you think of JSB diapers and whoever ends up having that number comment...we'll give you a 10% off code to use for a JSB diaper purchase.

Have fun...and don't forget to let JSB know that Angela Zere sent ya!

I'll post the winner Friday morning!

1 comment:

  1. Angela, I used something similar for my youngest. The inserts were biodegradable and could be composted for shrubs and flowers. Super cheap! And when it came time for potty training, I simply did away with the pad which encouraged potty training. Found mine on Diapers.com.
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...